Wednesday, July 9, 2008

We'll miss you Tommy!


We got home from our 4th of July trip Sunday night and got a call Monday morning that our dear Tommy had passed away. Tommy is Russ' step-dad, but more like a dad to him. He's been such a great example and influence in Russ' life since he was about 12 years old. He's an amazing person, and I've always loved and respected him.

We were very saddened to hear the news. Although Tom had been through a few heart surgeries going back to October, he was at home and doing a bit better, but back in the hospital for a few days because he had been retaining a bit of water. They found that his kidneys were shutting down, so they prepared Monday to perform a simple surgery to put in the port to get him ready for dialysis. Unfortunatly, his body had been through so much, that he didn't make it through that surgery.

We hopped on a plane with 3 of our 4 kids on Monday night at 10:00 p.m. to head to Minnesota. Our kids were troopers, going without any sleep since they woke up Monday morning, and they were up all the way until Tuesday when they took a 4 hour nap at the hotel around noon. I love my kids! It's amazing how crazy things can get but they were patient with the whole situation we were dealing with and understanding the emotions that go along with this whole thing. I love and appreciate them! They were amazing....

I also want to thank my neighbors! I love them and I have awesome friends in my neighborhood. There's nothing like great neighbors... It's nice to know you have neighbors who: offer to take your kids if you need them to, offer to watch your house or take in your mail, will water your plants, bring in your milk, and take your garbages out on garbage day. I love all you guys!

Today's only Wednesday, and I had a few minutes, so I thought I'd get this entry in. This is the only picture I could find of Tommy (it's an old one) at the moment I was making this entry, so I will find a better one to post later. This will be a crazy and emotional week for the family. It brings back tons of memories from when my dad passed away in July, 2005, so the emotions are coming back, but I will try my hardest to be the support to Russ that he was for me when my dad passed away. If I can only be half the support that he was to me at that difficult time in my life, he was great. I LOVE YOU RUSS!!!

Tom was the kindest person who always made those around him smile. He was a fabulous husband to Russ' mom, Barb. She was extremely lucky to have a man like Tom in her life, and he was extremely lucky to have her. They had a very special love. He was a great step father to Russ and his two sisters, Lisa and Karen. And an awesome grandfather. We love you and will miss you Tommy!

3 comments:

Noriane said...

I love reading your blog. My girls can't wait until Taylor gets back!

jessica said...

I'm so sorry Steph. We are thinking about you at the office. You are missed! We'll see ya soon.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Russ's step dad. I hope that Russ is doing OK.